Unearthing the Character that Relates to Others

As human beings, we often find ourselves moving through life while leaving our hearts behind. Along the way, we overlook, even numb, our deepest longings--and, we surrender to our lesser desires. It is curious to me that as Jesus traveled through His life, He often asked people the question, "What do you desire?" or "What do you want?" It seems Jesus knew that the pathway toward true and lasting character change must begin with what we desire because it is desire that guides us to what we will ultimately pursue in this life. As we engage this journey, and even battle, to remain connected to our desires at the deepest level, we will be moved in our hearts ultimately toward God because He is the One who created us with a deep longing for Him. He is the One we most deeply desire and so desperately need if we want to change and experience life in all its fullness.

Character formation does not simply come in the striving for change or in the indulgence of what is good. Instead, it must be fueled at the most primal core place inside of us, that of desire. I must say that I live disconnected from my heart more often that I like to admit. As a result, I move through my life leaving my heart behind, and the core of who I am is ignored. Over time, I find myself having numbed the deepest craving of my heart--for God Himself. This is why I must engage the battle for my heart, to awaken it, to pay attention to it, and to remain connected to the deepest and most primal center of who I am. This is the pathway toward experiencing "life," that kind of "life" that Jesus invited us into. Along the way, I keep learning and re-learning, that this kind of "life" flows through me when I care most deeply for my heart, and allow my greatest and deepest desires to guide me toward knowing and following Jesus everyday, every moment that I can. This is my longing, this is the life I pursue.

Today, my heart and mind meditate on the words found in Proverbs of the Hebrew Scriptures:
"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."